Friday, October 29, 2010

Friday Update

Wow, I cannot believe October is already gone! With its passing however, I feel like we're now in the swing of things! Here are some things we've been doing in class this week!

This week focused on the letter “Mm.” During reading groups, we read “I am Sam.” These books helped to teach us about words with initial “Mm” and words with final “Mm.” We also had some fun reading “Green Eggs and Ham” by Dr. Seuss and identifying words with “Mm.” Our word of the week was “is.”

Everyday Math Concepts: (1) We used concrete materials and pictures to represent and solve addition and subtraction stories. (2) We explored symmetry by using paint and folded paper. (3) We looked for symmetry in natural objects (i.e. leaves, butterflies, etc.) Take a look!

In the spirit of the upcoming holiday, we completed a directed drawing of a scarecrow. I just love how they are all so unique even though they are of the same subject.


Next week, we will be exploring the color BROWN all week long.

Remember to mark your calendars: The book swap is November 4th from 5-8PM with special guest Charlie Williams as "The Noise Guy."(Chaperone's required at this event) Thank you!
- What can I work on at home with my child?
o Read every night at least 15 minutes to or with your child.
o Optional Monthly Homework Calendar
o Practice writing even if it looks like “scribble”. Encourage your child to “best-guess spell” and listen to individual sounds in words. Remind him/her that it does not need to be perfect because we are learning. Just have him/her do his/her best!

Thank you to all my wonderful, fabulous, helpful,kind volunteers! I cannot do this job without you! Your time and talent is so appreciated. Next week starts a new volunteer schedule. More of you will be helping with in class reading groups. I am excited to partner with you in your child's education!

If you do not have a conference scheduled, please contact me. I sent home sign up sheets for those families that did not get a chance to sign up at curriculum night. Please check your child's folder or backpack.

Have a safe and fun weekend! Looks like it will another 'classic' northwest Halloween with blustery conditions for trick-or-treating! I'm hoping my kids wear their costumes (Darth Vader and an owl) long enough for at least one photo opportunity!

Stay warm,
~Mrs. Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment